When: Wednesday, October 7th, at 3 p.m. Eastern time.
Watch the video recording: If you missed this webinar or want to share it with colleagues, you can watch the video recording. After you register, you’ll be able to watch the video.
Interactive “Why Vote?” Tool and walk-through video:
Webinar PowerPoint and other resources: You can find the PowerPoint slides from this webinar below, at the bottom of this event listing.
You’ll also find:
- The “Why Vote?” Tool in English and Spanish
- The “Why Vote?” Tool for Youth in English and Spanish
- The “Why Answer the Census?” Tool in English and Spanish
- The Increasing Student Agency in Elections: The “Why Vote?” Tool Classroom Lesson
Also check out the“Why Vote?” Toolkit, which includes more information.
Support for LGBTQIA+ Voters:
To report an incident and get help ensuring that your vote counts
Webinar, October 7th
Ever since 18-year-olds were given the right to vote in the US, youth ages 18 – 24 continue to be under represented at the polls. Barriers limiting access to the right to vote have only been exacerbated for youth populations by the global pandemic. Young voters at the margins face intersectional challenges and voter suppression based on race, class, and gender-expression. Now, more than ever, it is vital to empower our most vulnerable youth populations with necessary tools and facts about their voter rights.
We are ready to work with youth providers to support LGBTQIA+ youth in cultivating self-advocacy, overcoming voting barriers, and becoming life long voters, subsequently demystifying the voter process and increasing accessibility for youth voter turnout this November.
Based on nearly three decades of innovative educational work and in collaboration with seasoned LGBTQIA+ youth education specialists, Right Question Institute (RQI) has designed a webinar for youth workers to learn the RQI “Why Vote?” Tool.
The “Why Vote?” Tool provides a quick and effective way for direct service providers to conduct nonpartisan voter engagement with people who use their services. We’ve tailored the “Why Vote?” Tool to fit the needs of young people who are potential new voters. If you work in education or youth services, this tool can help your LGBTQIA+ participants name the value of voting for themselves.
This webinar will cover:
- A voter engagement strategy that can lead to traditional nonvoting youth becoming regular voters
- Connections between the services LGBTQIA+ youth receive and decisions elected officials make that impact them
- Specific challenges that LGBTQIA+ people face during registration and at the polls
In this interactive webinar, we will:
- Share in an active learning experience while using the “Why Vote?” Tool
- Explore why our voter engagement strategy works
- Explore best practices on how to use and share this resource with others, including in new remote working contexts
Who should attend this webinar:
- Youth workers providing direct services for LGBTQIA+ youth
- Adult educators and cultural workers
- Educators working with parents of LGBTQIA+ youth
- Voter engagement enthusiasts looking for an innovative and powerful strategy to engage young voters
- Anyone interested in helping people they work with or people in their community become better self-advocates through voting
We have designed this webinar so that you can walk away with a new tool you can add to your voter engagement toolbox and ideas on how to implement it right away.